[rescue] advice on rescuing an e10k

Meelis Roos mroos at linux.ee
Sun Dec 3 11:44:41 CST 2006

> OK, I gotta ask: how does one find an E10000 at a hobbyist price in Estonia?

This E10000 came AFAIK from eBay, along with several smaller Exx00 Suns.

> Over here in what some call "The Big PX" it's tough enough, and .us is lots
> bigger than .ee ... not to mention that Sun builds the things here.  I mean
> absolutely no insult to .ee, but I don't imagine that one finds many
> supercomputers sitting on the curb with a "FREE" sign on them....

Well, there were two free E10K-s in Estonia ;)

A bank used them and after their demands grew, the machines were
decomissioned and went back to the Sun reseller. There they stayed for a
some time and as the paperwork was done, they were taken to
universities. One to Tallinn Technical University, one to Tartu
University - for testing scalability of parallel programs etc. We even
built a bigger door for our server room in Tartu to fit the E10K in :)

The Starfires in both universities have 16 CPUs each IIRC, the hobbyist
one at home is 64 CPU but usually runs with only a couple of mainboards
because of power problems.

Lack of time has prevented me from trying sparclinux in one partitsion
there, but I think I will some time. Auroralinux has been heard to work,
probably Debian too, dunno about other distros but why not.

--
Meelis Roos (mroos at linux.ee)