[rescue] q on G4 "Digital Audio" and screen res

Mon Aug 21 11:37:29 CDT 2006

> What I really need might be a pair of widescreen monitors, one
> vertical and the other horizonal.

I've seen flatscreens that can turn.  With a little hackery in the
software driving it (the X server or moral equivalent), that's it.

>> If you have the cash, get 1600x1050 or whatever.  That way you have
>> more total pixels as well.
> Plus, 1600 might be wide enough for 3 xterms across.

It is, unless you use an unusually wide font or unusually wide xterms.

For a time I had a 1600x1280 monochrome (1bpp) framebuffer with a mono
monitor - no shadow mask and thus a really crisp display.
Unfortunately it dimmed into uselessness some years back, but I haven't
forgotten. :-)  Using `fixed', 1600 is enough for three 80-column
windows with some 150 pixels to spare (or perhaps less depending on how
much additional border thickness your window manager adds).

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign
 X  Against HTML	       mouse at rodents.montreal.qc.ca