[rescue] q on G4 "Digital Audio" and screen res

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Mon Aug 21 11:05:34 CDT 2006

On Sat, Aug 19, 2006 at 11:07:40PM -0400, Patrick Giagnocavo wrote:
> On Aug 19, 2006, at 10:38 PM, Joshua Boyd wrote:
> >>
> >> IMHO, widescreen is the only way to fly with OSX.
> >
> > Is it really that much better than 1280x1024?  Widescreen is certainly
> > cool, but I just can't get over a feeling that I'd regred the overall
> > loss of pixels from 1280x1024.
> >

> It is not that many pixels different, but the key I think, is that you
> have a wider format.
>
> Ever notice that when you are sketching or diagramming something, you
> will often switch the paper to landscape format?

True.

On the other hand, when editing code or fiddling with Reason, I often
wish for more vertical height.

What I really need might be a pair of widescreen monitors, one vertical
and the other horizonal.

> > Viewsonic widescreen that Tiger recently had for $280) would be very
> > nice.  If they still have that deal, I mighgt be tempted beyond my
> > ability to withstand this month).
>
> If you have the cash, get 1600x1050 or whatever.  That way you have
> more total pixels as well.

Plus, 1600 might be wide enough for 3 xterms across.

> Also, I now have half of my desk back vs. the 17" CRT I had here half
> an hour ago.

Desk space is good.

Although if I did get an LCD, it would be in addition to, not instead of
the existing 21" SGI tube.

--
Joshua D. Boyd
jdboyd at jdboyd.net