[rescue] Processor choice

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Fri Aug 18 15:30:19 CDT 2006

>From: Patrick Giagnocavo <patrick at zill.net>
>Date: 2006/08/18 Fri PM 02:58:34 CDT
>To: The Rescue List <rescue at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [rescue] Processor choice

>On Aug 18, 2006, at 3:44 PM, Mark KAHRS wrote:
>
>> OK, I'd like to get a Solaris machine that runs tex/latex for my
>> uncle (a retired physics professor).  Further, I'd like him to be
>> able to use his Windoze laptop to log into the said machine (and
>> get graphical output on the Windoze machine).
>
>I would look into VMware player, which would let him run Solaris in a
>window on his Windows machine.

VMWare Server would be a better choice, but a good suggestion, assuming everything he wants to do will run on an x86 processor (likely it will)...

>Or, install Solaris 10 with JDS on any >200Mhz UltraSPARC system or P3
>or higher x86 machine, and then install x11vnc on the Solaris machine
>and VNC on the Windows machine.

I think the concerns here would be:

Speedy processor(s) (Biased towards Any speed Ultra 2/30/60, SMP if possible)
Decent graphics (greater than 256 color, Creator/Elite-level)
512 Meg+ RAM (Let the Apps run without stepping on the O/S)
HD large enough for O/S & Apps (Use SMB to save files on a PC file server)

Now as a guy in NJ with a stack of Ultra 2 systems, I'd be happy to put together something for little $$ (well under three-figures ;^), but the advice is solid no matter the source of the system.

>When he is happy with the output, he can output to PDF and bring the
>document over to his Windows machine.

I'd suggest SMB/SAMBA fileshares between PC and Sun box, but that's me...

Lionel