[rescue] Dual headed U10

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Mon Aug 14 15:00:58 CDT 2006

>From: Michael-John Turner <mj at turner.org.za>
>Date: 2006/08/14 Mon PM 01:12:16 CDT
>To: The Rescue List <rescue at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [rescue] Dual headed U10

>On Sun, Aug 13, 2006 at 11:39:54PM -0700, Don Y wrote:
>> The places where they appear usually have an abundance of them.
>> The places where they *don't*, usually *don't*!  :-(
>
>Sheesh, tell me about it! It cost me in the region of $400 in shipping
>costs to get a measly dual 200Mhz Ultra 2 to Cape Town just over a year
>ago. Anything bigger than a pizzabox/Ultra 5 tends to exceed the USPS
>ground shipping limits (USPS is by far the cheapest way to get things here
>- around $50 for a pizzabox-sized machine, surface).
>
>And you guys in North America think you have it tough! :P

I persoanlly have never said that I think I have it tough... ;^)

In my exp. the issue has been the packaging people use for their machines... USPS will only take up to a certain size (108" girth, IIRC, but I may be wrong) and weight (don't remember), but when I see Ultra 2s packed for shipment, the boxes are HUGE - like a 24" cube (HxWxD) and exceed the girth limit (2xH + 2xW + D).

A system like a U2 can get by with only a coule inches of foam around the perimiter in my opinion. Heck, you could almost put an address on the chassis and drop it off at the post office ;^)

Lionel
Lionel