[rescue] WTB: Cisco C3524 and C3512

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Tue Aug 8 10:23:16 CDT 2006

On Mon, Aug 07, 2006 at 06:48:09PM -0400, Ethan O'Toole wrote:

> It's an apartment. Priced out of houses in my market (well, I could have a
> house if I was stupid and got a funky loan... but those funky loans are
> what is going to return lots of houses to the market).
>
> And I *can't wait* for the housing market to collapse.
> www.thehousingbubbleblog.com is the best site ever.

I'm looking forward to it slowing significantly as well.  No real sign
of dropping here, but houses are starting to be on the market longer.

> But as far as multimode fiber to every room, I know a couple that have it.
> It can be done cheap, you can get a spool of fiber on feebay for next to
> nothing. If your involved with the local IT community you should be able
> to find students or young kids doing cabling with access to termination
> kit, if you don't have it yourself (I used to have access, but that was
> years ago).
>
> Unfortunately, in the apartment, without getting in trouble, I'm very
> limited in how much power is availible to me.

I'm in an apartment as well.  There for we have a kitchen, bedroom,
bathroom, and machine room (some refer to it as a living room).  As a
result I'm heavily limited in how much computing power I can run.  But,
when we do have a house, the office and machine room will be called the
office and machine room rather than bedroom 3 and 4 (assuming they were
originally bedrooms rather than a basement or garage.

I think the optimal for me would be a place with a walk in basement to
use as a machine room so that the garage could be used for other stuff,
like maybe a small sound studio.  Or, my wife likes the idea of using
the garage as a place to house her car.  What a preposterous idea.

> I'm pushing the city... I'm trying to park www.757truck.com in a city lot
> near my apartment where I can use wireless to talk to it... and run it at
> night. That could possibly generate enough money to get a cooler space,
> and pay for the colocation in DC. We will see. It will eat projector bulbs
> though, and require a very quiet, small generator (not hard to find) with
> electric start (hard to find).

That truck is way cool looking.

--
Joshua D. Boyd