[rescue] (Offtopic) X-Message-Flag fun for Outlook users

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Sun Aug 6 22:29:00 CDT 2006

Thu, 03 Aug 2006 @ 12:21 -0400, Phil Stracchino said:

> I actually abandoned babcom.com for mail delivery purposes because the
> spam problem had gotten so bad.  It wasn't 15%-30% more spam than real
> mail; it was orders of magnitude.  I once observed a three-day period
> over which I received in excess of 10,000 spam delivery attempts per
> day, and less than 100 legitimate mail messages during the entire three
> days.

That's just crappy.  I'd like to be left alone in a room full of
spammers, with a nice long and nasty blade in my hand...

> I take some gratification from the thought that one of my domains is
> probably significantly contributing to the effectiveness of Spamcop.

I eventually dropped spamcop after using it for 2 years.

One big reason was the large number of false positives that were keeping
me from getting mail I needed.  The other big problem was common to most
of the blacklists: the operators were complete assholes whenever they
made a mistake.

In the end, spammers are faster than blacklists and most other methods
of dealing with it.

The only thing that will fix it is changes to all MTAs, and make them
strict, and find a way to truly hurt the spammers.

The rest is nothing but leaky bandaids.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- [There is a limit to how stupid people really
are -- just as there's a limit to the amount of hydrogen in the Universe.