[rescue] best rackmount Sun (used) for $1k

Francois Dion francois.dion at gmail.com
Tue Aug 1 14:13:43 CDT 2006

On 7/29/06, Lionel Peterson <lionel4287 at verizon.net> wrote:
> >From: Patrick Giagnocavo <patrick at zill.net>
> >Date: 2006/07/29 Sat PM 02:29:51 CDT
> >To: rescue at sunhelp.org
> >Subject: [rescue] best rackmount Sun (used) for $1k
>
> >What would you folks recommend, assuming I want a 4U or less Sun
> >SPARC-based machine, 2GB RAM or more, for about $1,000 ?
> >
> >What kind of systems are out there for that price ?
> You could probably piece together a nice E3X00/4X00 machine,
> but the memory is going to be slow (by current standards)

E5000 upgraded to E5500 in the house but it uses a lot of juice and is
big. Definitely wont fit in the 4U that Patrick is looking for. I run
some serious stuff on it, with 4 boards you get quad interleaving on
8GB of memory and 8 cpus, it's plenty fast, unless you have something
that doesn't migrate to multiple cpus.

If you could find a 280 for $1000 i'd go with that, but I've never
seen one for that low.

Francois