[rescue] LCD monitor diagnosis

Sandwich Maker adh at an.bradford.ma.us
Sat Apr 29 18:40:56 CDT 2006

" From: der Mouse <mouse at Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
"
" > <grin>  What you need to try is getting of the motorcycle at your
" > destination, removing your helmet and then reaching for a collapsible
" > WHITE CANE which you methodically unfold...
"
" I know someone who is documented as blind - apparently her optic nerves
" simply don't work - but who has good enough magesight that when she
" wants to be, she is effectively sighted.  I've played cards with her,
" for example, using a normal deck.  (I'm convinced it's magesight, at
" least partially, rather than simply fooling the testers, because I've
" also been present when she's seen through opaque objects.)  She does
" tend to carry a folding white cane, and even uses it sometimes.

there is a well-documented phenomenon of 'blindsight'.  the optic
nerve has connections not only to the visual cortex but also to the
reptilian part of the brain, closer to the stem.  if the visual cortex
connections are severed one loses awareness of sight, but can still
react to visual stimuli.  your friend sounds like a startling example.