[rescue] Sun array rescue

William Enestvedt William.Enestvedt at jwu.edu
Wed Apr 26 11:54:03 CDT 2006

That's a Sparc Storage Array, innit? Three front-to-back "aisles" with
ten drives in each (two groups of five, perhaps)? With a funny handle on
the front face of the "aisle" that has to be popped in order to slide it
out and then lift the HDs striaght up?

   I just took an SSA112 out of production this winter. It needed an
SBus card in the E3000 to connect to: something about the fiber that
will no doubt be explained in another reponse before I finish typing
this.

   I think you can tell a little about the model by the drives being
used in it: larger drives (9 GB?) were only available in newer SSAs.
Mine had a mixture of 2 GB and 4 GB HDs: wow! Last year I replaced the
drives in the E3000's ten internal disk slots with 30 GB drives, and
suddenly those few dozen GB spread over thirty drives in the SSA didn't
seem quite so valuable. :7)

-wde
P.S. I also have a special Shark Rack SSA cooler unit that's now busy
making a lousy shelf in my snazzy Shark Rack. When the E3000 comes out
of the same rack, I'll also have the special cooler for it, too. Pity
they won't let me get rid of stuff we're not using: that creaky E3000
may have to get shunted into a minor role, despite the expense (heat and
power) of running it. *sigh*
--
Will Enestvedt
UNIX System Administrator