[rescue] LCD monitor diagnosis

Don Y dgy at DakotaCom.Net
Wed Apr 19 21:05:42 CDT 2006

Charles Shannon Hendrix wrote:
> On Tuesday 18 April 2006 09:54, Don Y wrote:
>

>> By (PC) consumer standards, "many years" may, in fact, be "a very
>> long time".  But, I've also had problems with electrolytics
>> "drying out" in hifi gear (I've a Yamaha CA-810 that I need to
>> re-cap... considerably older than any of these motherboards
>> yet still not what I would consider "a very long time"  :<  )
>
> I was thinking ten years is a good number.  Beyond that much time, it would
> probably be cheaper to get a new machine, given power-to-watt ratios.

For a PC, ... maybe.  I really don't know why PC's should have
such piss-poor reliability expectations (except, of course,
for the fact that most are treated as disposable)

> I'm happy when my PC does 5-10 years without problems.  I saw a lot of them
> with bad caps die in under a year, and that's just plain stupid.  Same for a
> lot of consumer audio/video equipment.
>
> It has nothing to do with "PC", as I've used 15 year old PCs before that ran
> like they were brand new.  Both of my Apple IIci machines are now 16 years
> old, and have their original hard drives (and capacitors!).  The gestalt on
> one of them says it was powered on for 9.5 years total.

I had a pair of Compaq 386/25's still in service since 1990 (?)
until last year (too much space for too little features).  I
know of Apple IIe's (?) in use in manufacturing applications
currently (spare parts are interesting  :> ).

I think a lot depends on the quality of the original components,
environmental issues as well as age.