[rescue] LCD monitor diagnosis

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Wed Apr 19 11:30:38 CDT 2006

On Tuesday 18 April 2006 09:54, Don Y wrote:

> By (PC) consumer standards, "many years" may, in fact, be "a very
> long time".  But, I've also had problems with electrolytics
> "drying out" in hifi gear (I've a Yamaha CA-810 that I need to
> re-cap... considerably older than any of these motherboards
> yet still not what I would consider "a very long time"  :<  )

I was thinking ten years is a good number.  Beyond that much time, it would
probably be cheaper to get a new machine, given power-to-watt ratios.

I'm happy when my PC does 5-10 years without problems.  I saw a lot of them
with bad caps die in under a year, and that's just plain stupid.  Same for a
lot of consumer audio/video equipment.

It has nothing to do with "PC", as I've used 15 year old PCs before that ran
like they were brand new.  Both of my Apple IIci machines are now 16 years
old, and have their original hard drives (and capacitors!).  The gestalt on
one of them says it was powered on for 9.5 years total.