[rescue] LCD monitor diagnosis

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Tue Apr 18 00:28:34 CDT 2006

Sun, 16 Apr 2006 @ 17:10 -0700, Don Y said:

> Bill Bradford wrote:
> > On Sun, Apr 16, 2006 at 05:11:20PM -0400, Bryan Gurney wrote:
> >> Yeah, it's sad sometimes how bad the caps are in some products.
> >> I've had/seen plenty of bad cap experiences:
> >
> > I had to replace the midplane/motherboard of my iMac G5 a year ago due to
> > the bad cap problem:
> >
> > http://www.flickr.com/photos/mrbill/sets/1340761/
>
> To be fair, given time, caps *do* go bad.  But, that's
> a *long* time (much longer than LCD panels have been
> a commodity item!).
>
> I've seen more than two dozen motherboards with bad caps
> (and I don't do this for a living  :-/  ).  I had to
> "re-cap" the MB in my Athlon box for this reason.

Supposedly a lot of this was due to improper caps sold to motherboard
manufacturers.

Also, the cheaper motherboards don't use caps that are as good and long
lasting as better ones, especially server motherboards.

Good caps should last a very long time, many years in fact.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["The trade of governing has always been
monopolized by the most ignorant and the most rascally individuals of