[rescue] LCD monitor diagnosis

Don Y dgy at DakotaCom.Net
Sun Apr 16 19:10:13 CDT 2006

Bill Bradford wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 16, 2006 at 05:11:20PM -0400, Bryan Gurney wrote:
>> Yeah, it's sad sometimes how bad the caps are in some products.
>> I've had/seen plenty of bad cap experiences:
>
> I had to replace the midplane/motherboard of my iMac G5 a year ago due to
> the bad cap problem:
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/mrbill/sets/1340761/

To be fair, given time, caps *do* go bad.  But, that's
a *long* time (much longer than LCD panels have been
a commodity item!).

I've seen more than two dozen motherboards with bad caps
(and I don't do this for a living  :-/  ).  I had to
"re-cap" the MB in my Athlon box for this reason.
Annoying since the problem manifests *now*... when CPUs
are faster and the prospect of tossing the MB & CPU
just doesn't sound very appealing!  :-/

(I've not heard a critical analysis of what sort of
consequences exist for the CPU and other devices on
a board with thos sort of failure.  I continue to
use the Athlon box but it has "magical symptoms"
from time to time that leave me wondering if something
didn't get a bit wonked when it was running with bad caps.)

--don