[rescue] your next Solaris machine ??? (Sol/x86 booting on iMac)

Andrew Weiss ajwdsp at cloud9.net
Fri Apr 14 18:36:04 CDT 2006

On Apr 14, 2006, at 4:48 PM, Micah R Ledbetter wrote:

> I don't understand why you consider IBM workstations to be the same
> as other embedded platforms... You can run a real OS, have access to
> a regular CPU/plenty of RAM/no disk constraints, and it's as
> expandable as a Sun or HP or Alpha ever was. What's embedded about it?

Other than graphics performance in X, IBM workstations pretty much
mop the floor with EVERYTHING else.  Embedded my ass.  The new POWER
6 is supposed to be pretty light on power use and scale to 6 Ghz.

The latest POWER5's have like 8 cores on die and like 8MB of cache on
die per processor.  Like I said... embedded my ass.  The POWER
architecture is where most of IBM's profit comes from since they use
it in both p and i series and are talking about using it in the z
series boxes.

Andrew