[rescue] Odd SBUS cards - anyone want?

Charles Shannon Hendrix shannon at widomaker.com
Mon Apr 10 10:18:14 CDT 2006

Mon, 10 Apr 2006 @ 09:50 +0200, Michael-John Turner said:

> Unfortunately SMP is not yet working on 64-bit SPARC systems. Works well on
> 32-bit SPARC systems, but is still using a big lock rather than the more
> fine grained SMP of FreeBSD/Linux/DragonflyBSD/Solaris.

OK, I didn't know it wasn't ready yet.  Too much stuff to read lately.

> FWIW, I'm very happy with my pair of SM61-powered machines running NetBSD
> 3.0. If my dual SM81-2 SS20 didn't run so hot, I'd use it more.

My SS5 is extremely hot too, but mostly it is the internal drives. The 9GB IBM
gets really hot.

If I could find a cheap external SCSI case, I'd use that and leave the
internal bays empty.  That might help your SS20 too.  At least then it
would be purely the CPUs.

Also, at one time I cooled an SS20 by pushing air into slots in the back. Not
great airflow, but the power supply fans are so wimpy, it did drop the head
quite a bit.

I'm going to try putting NetBSD 3.x on my U1. 1.x never worked on it, kept
crashing.

--
shannon "AT" widomaker.com -- ["I wish life was not so short. Languages
take such a time, and so do all the things one wants to know about." - J.