[rescue] Install Solaris 10 without CD-ROM, and without another Solaris box. Possible?

velociraptor velociraptor at gmail.com
Fri Apr 7 09:45:36 CDT 2006

On 4/6/06, Jonathan C. Patschke <jp at celestrion.net> wrote:
> On Thu, 6 Apr 2006, Micah R Ledbetter wrote:
>
> >> This shouldn't be *too* hard, since Macs do network based
> >> booting/install as well.
> >
> > That's what I was hoping :)
>
> I'm doing Jumpstarts at work from a non-SunOS host right now.  I ran
> into two problems:
>
>    1) The "check" scricpt relies on some Solaris binaries, and without
>       running "check", the rules.ok file doesn't get its checksum, so the
>       client will ignore it.
>    2) Linux does strange IP things (or doesn't do other strange IP
>       things) that cause the SunOS kernel to hang when doing netmask
>       detection.
>
> My solution is to run "check" from a SunOS host when I update the rules
> file and to use FreeBSD as the NFS server for the Jumpstart process.

I was assuming from what he said that he wasn't trying to do a
full-blown jumpstart, just a one-off, hence my suggestion that he just
export the CDs/DVD via NFS.

Linux seems problematic wrt NFS as well, so the problems you saw may be
related.

As far as the Mac goes, I'd suspect you will probably want to make
sure tcpdump is installed, and probably a few other things from
fink/darwinports.

I was tossing around the idea of pulling together a "how-to" for
automated building of Macs from other OSes, but never considered
writing up something for the reverse.  From my perspective these days,
I prefer netboot+flar for Solaris builds, as it's ever so much faster.

=Nadine=