[rescue] Install Solaris 10 without CD-ROM, and without another Solaris box. Possible?

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Thu Apr 6 21:31:07 CDT 2006

On Thu, 6 Apr 2006, Micah R Ledbetter wrote:

>> This shouldn't be *too* hard, since Macs do network based
>> booting/install as well.
>
> That's what I was hoping :)

I'm doing Jumpstarts at work from a non-SunOS host right now.  I ran
into two problems:

   1) The "check" scricpt relies on some Solaris binaries, and without
      running "check", the rules.ok file doesn't get its checksum, so the
      client will ignore it.
   2) Linux does strange IP things (or doesn't do other strange IP
      things) that cause the SunOS kernel to hang when doing netmask
      detection.

My solution is to run "check" from a SunOS host when I update the rules
file and to use FreeBSD as the NFS server for the Jumpstart process.

--
Jonathan Patschke   )   "Let me hear you make decisions
Elgin, TX          (     without your television."