[rescue] Install Solaris 10 without CD-ROM, and without another Solaris box. Possible?

Phil Stracchino phil.stracchino at speakeasy.net
Thu Apr 6 20:49:20 CDT 2006

Micah R Ledbetter wrote:
> I was looking for some sort of guide that would lay out what I needed
> to do if I wasn't using a Solaris machine as a host. Unless I'm just
> misreading it, http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/817-5504 seems to
> require a Solaris-running host.
> Eg on this page: http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/817-5504/6mkv4nh4s?
> a=view
> it says to execute "./add_install_client -d -s (...)" from the Tools
> subdirectory. I had assumed that it was a Solaris executable - is
> that not the case? (Is it a shell script or something?)
>
> Or, perhaps there's an unofficial doc that I'm missing? Anyway,
> thanks for the help.

While the docs do rely on a lot of Sun-specific things, many of them can
be worked around.  I did most of these by hand while trying to jumpstart
install Solaris 10 on a U2 from a U5 running OpenBSD 3.6.  I was able to
make it ALMOST work, right up to the point that the machine tried to
mount its root filesystem from the jumpstart server, but I always got a
kernel panic at that point and never managed to determine the exact cause.