[rescue] Install Solaris 10 without CD-ROM, and without another Solaris box. Possible?

Micah R Ledbetter vlack-lists at vlack.com
Thu Apr 6 20:43:27 CDT 2006

On Apr 6, 2006, at 16:53, velociraptor wrote:

> On 4/6/06, Micah R Ledbetter <vlack-lists at vlack.com> wrote:
>> I'm not sure if this is rescue or geeks material, but here goes...
>> I have a Windows machine at work, a Mac OS X laptop, and an Ultra 2
>> running Solaris 9 which I've secreted under my desk. The U2 has no
>> CD-
>> ROM, and while I might be able to get one, if I could do it another
>> way, it would be less hassle for me. Is there a way I could network
>> install (using Mac OS X or Windows/Interix as a host), or upgrade-
>> install without a CD drive?
>
> Ideas that come to mind:
>
> netboot (e.g. tftpd, rarpd, etc) on the Mac + CD/DVD/filesystem
> exported via
> NFS
> netboot from the Mac + an ftp repository on the Mac
>
> This shouldn't be *too* hard, since Macs do network based
> booting/install as well.

That's what I was hoping :)
I was looking for some sort of guide that would lay out what I needed
to do if I wasn't using a Solaris machine as a host. Unless I'm just
misreading it, http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/817-5504 seems to
require a Solaris-running host.
Eg on this page: http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/817-5504/6mkv4nh4s?
a=view
it says to execute "./add_install_client -d -s (...)" from the Tools
subdirectory. I had assumed that it was a Solaris executable - is
that not the case? (Is it a shell script or something?)

Or, perhaps there's an unofficial doc that I'm missing? Anyway,
thanks for the help.

  - Micah