[rescue] was: ham gear, now altec speakers!

C Fernandez fernande at internet1.net
Mon Nov 28 12:13:46 CST 2005

Sridhar Ayengar wrote:
> Altec-Lansing is located in Milford, PA, ........

Well, not really.  I believe a few decent products were from Milford,
However, it's really Altec Lansing in name only.  Altec was purchased by
several other companies, and ultimately sold to Sparkomatic.
Sparkomatic now goes by the name Altec Lansing Technologies, located in
Milford, PA.  The last real Altec shop was in Oklahoma.  In fact, just
about anything Altec Lansing Technologies makes that is related to the
old Altec company is still made in Oklahoma by Great Plains Audio, or is
at least prototyped there.  I've heard Altec Lansing Technologies is
getting the stuff produced in China.  GPA, is owned and run by a former
Altec sound engineer.

> Actually, the A7 and -500 are the absolute *latest* VOT's ever made.

No, not true.  I you look at old Altec catalogs they had plenty of later
designs.  The A7 was produced for a very long time.  I'd have a hard
time believing any other model surpassed it in production numbers.

> Most of the VOT's made were not A7's.  Almost all of the A7's and -500's
> went to actual commercial movie theaters.  Most of them didn't have
> cabinets or baffles, since they would often not be necessary in a
> commercial theater installation.

VOTT was intended for theaters..... that was it's primary market.

> Back when the older models were around (Altec-Lansing stopped selling
> VOT's altogether for a long time), they would sell VOT's in custom-built
> cabinets straight from the factory.  My uncle the civil engineer and
> acoustics hobbyist ordered a pair of custom VOT's directly from
> Altec-Lansing in 1964.  He's still using them, hooked to the same
> McIntosh tube amp they've always been powered by.

Any pictures?

Chad Fernandez
Michigan, USA