[rescue] was: ham gear, now altec speakers!

Sridhar Ayengar ploopster at gmail.com
Mon Nov 28 11:34:32 CST 2005

Ethan O'Toole wrote:
> A friend referred me to Altec speakers, called Voice of the Theater. Said
> they would be a good match for me, when I inquired about hifi speakers for
> home.
>
> A7-500 and A7 are the models. If anyone comes across any that are
> for sale, I'm sort of looking :-) There were tons of them made, and I
> would imagine they may be found around places where computer and radio
> geeks would look.
>
> I'm not exactly in the hotbed of geek activity here in Southeastern
> Virginia, but I do my part.

Altec-Lansing is located in Milford, PA, about two hours from here.  I
toured their facility with my father once.

Actually, the A7 and -500 are the absolute *latest* VOT's ever made.
Most of the VOT's made were not A7's.  Almost all of the A7's and -500's
went to actual commercial movie theaters.  Most of them didn't have
cabinets or baffles, since they would often not be necessary in a
commercial theater installation.

Back when the older models were around (Altec-Lansing stopped selling
VOT's altogether for a long time), they would sell VOT's in custom-built
cabinets straight from the factory.  My uncle the civil engineer and
acoustics hobbyist ordered a pair of custom VOT's directly from
Altec-Lansing in 1964.  He's still using them, hooked to the same
McIntosh tube amp they've always been powered by.

Peace...  Sridhar