[rescue] Video card request

Peter abuse at cabal.org.uk
Mon Nov 28 09:04:28 CST 2005

Phil Stracchino <phil.stracchino at speakeasy.net> wrote:
[...]
> It won't play at all on my Athlon64-system, apparently because
> SafeDisc4 is in denial about the existence of an optical drive in my
> system. It's a perfectly good NEC ND-3520AW, but no
> SafeDisc4-protected game will play on it.

Hmm, at least some protection schemes will fail safe and let you play
if the drive can't be accessed. Copied Codemasters games will
allegedly play fine on my SCSI DVD-RW drive (although I haven't tested
this.)

> I'd like to go kick these copy-protection idiots in the nuts; not
> only are they preventing legitimate buyers from playing their games,
> they're *forcing people* to use hacks and cracks and pirated
> versions, and they're too damn stupid to see it.

I can't be bothered with that faff, so I don't tend to bother with
games, pirate or not. As it happens, the only PC game I've bought this
decade is one that I confirmed beforehand was not copy-protected. It
also helped that it's also for OSX so runs adequately on my PowerBook.

--
PGP key ID E85DC776 - finger abuse at mooli.org.uk for full key