[rescue] ham gear

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Fri Nov 11 10:11:09 CST 2005

On Fri, Nov 11, 2005 at 09:23:42AM -0500, Steve Sandau wrote:
> For some reason, I have finally become interested in ham radio. I
> thought I remembered seeing some list traffic on this subject, too.

Yep.  K5WCB here.

> Is this on-topic enough since I'll hopefully be looking to rescue some
> ham gear soon?

Sure!

> I've started reading to pass the technician class exam; sounds like I
> ought to be able to without too much pain.

Its just multiple-choice, not a problem at all.

> Any suggestions on good places to look for radio equipment? I'm not sure
> exactly what I'm looking for since I don't know a whole lot yet. (I may
> never know a whole lot.) All I have in mind now is that I probably want
> something portable at some point.

I'd suggest starting out with a new 2-meter rig; you can get a good
Yaesu or Icom for less than $200 with antenna, etc.  Another $100 for a
*good* desktop/bench DC power supply (get something that gives you
13.8V @ 20A, so you dont have to upgrade later), and you've got a nice
home setup that can be put in a car later.

At home right now I've got an Icom IC-2100, a good Samlex power supply,
and a mag-mount 3/8-wave antenna sitting in a window.  Works great, and
I can hit the local Houston repeaters without problems.

Bill

--
Bill Bradford
Houston, Texas