[rescue] Thinkpad 600E memory capacity (was Mac prices)

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Sun Jan 16 13:06:49 CST 2005

> From: Phil Stracchino <alaric at caerllewys.net>
> Date: 2005/01/16 Sun AM 04:28:32 GMT
> To: The Rescue List <rescue at sunhelp.org>
> Subject: [rescue] Thinkpad 600E memory capacity (was Mac prices)

> The question, therefore, that I'm hoping someone here will know the
> answer to:
>
> Is that 288M maximum in the Thinkpad 600E a chipset limit, or merely the
> maximum amount of memory that one could physically get into the machine
> at one time because nothing larger than 128M was available?  If I put a
> 256M SODIMM into the machine along with, at first, one of my existing
> 64M SODIMMs -- or with a 128M or another 256M module -- will it work?

Crucial.com lists 188 Meg as supported, and they offer 128 Meg DIMMs for $57/ea - AND, they have a compatibility guarantee, so if it doesn't work, nothing lost...

http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.asp?Mfr%2BProductline=IBM%2BThinkPad&mfr=IBM&cat=RAM&model=ThinkPad+600E+Series+%28Type+2645%29&submit=Go

P2 systems with 256 Meg RAM are OK/good, Solaris might be a good option on that laptop - I've run it on a P2/300 MHz CPU laptop with 256 Meg RAM, and it was nice.

http://www.sun.com/bigadmin/hcl/data/sol/systems/details/317.html

Oddly, they list the Thinkpad 600E as a PIII laptop, but I think the person that posted the system got it wrong...

Good luck, it's a nice laptop...