[rescue] Thinkpad 600E memory capacity (was Mac prices)

Phil Stracchino alaric at caerllewys.net
Sat Jan 15 22:28:32 CST 2005

On Sat, Jan 15, 2005 at 09:44:38PM -0600, Bill Bradford wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 16, 2005 at 03:35:30AM +0000, Lionel Peterson wrote:
> > Nah - the iBook takes more RAM (1.25 Gig vs. 1 Gig in the Mini ;^)
>
> My iBook is officially maxed out at 640M (128M onboard + 512M stick), but
> I don't know if (unofficially) a 1G stick would work.

On a closely related subject ....

I was recently given a Thinkpad 600E.  It corrently has 160M RAM (2x64M
plus 32M onboard), and is painfully slow and constantly swapping when
running Win2K Pro.  IBM lists the maximum memory capacity as 288M,
obtained with 2x128M + 32M.  However, CDW tells me they're selling 256M
modules for Thinkpad 600Es, and they work.

The question, therefore, that I'm hoping someone here will know the
answer to:

Is that 288M maximum in the Thinkpad 600E a chipset limit, or merely the
maximum amount of memory that one could physically get into the machine
at one time because nothing larger than 128M was available?  If I put a
256M SODIMM into the machine along with, at first, one of my existing
64M SODIMMs -- or with a 128M or another 256M module -- will it work?

Nothing's going to change the fact that this machine is a 366MHz P2.
But if I can pump the memory well up so that it's not constantly
thrashing, I may be able to make it a lot more usable.

(Got cygwin installed on it today -- yay!
ICBM doesn't work on it, looks like something in Term::ReadKey or maybe
in my mini-readline implementation doesn't work right on cygwin --
bleh....)

--
  ========== Fight Back!  It may not be just YOUR life at risk. ==========
  alaric at caerllewys.net : phil-stracchino at earthlink.net : phil at novylen.net