[rescue] Cleaning out, anyone want some FREE stuff?

Mike Meredith mike at redhairy1.demon.co.uk
Thu Jan 13 11:37:42 CST 2005

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 11:45:18 -0500, Patrick Giagnocavo wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 13, 2005 at 11:23:55AM -0500, Patrick Finnegan wrote:
> > Have you ever benchmarked an F6800?  IIRC, a 400MHz UltraSparcII had
> >
> > about the same performance, if not better.
>
> No, but if there is any way you can help with that, let me know :-)

Tell me what benchmark you want run, and I'll run it. I don't have
access to a F6800, but will a F6900 do (only 4 USIV's in 2 domains
though) ?

> However for databases, integer performance matters.  I don't know what
> POWER does about register windowing, but Sparc always seemed to
> deliver good performance even while other things are happening on the

As always application specific benchmarks are what you need to compare
systems. Sun Sparc CPUs are pretty dire in integer performance compared
with the POWER5, but Sun servers still seem to be reasonably
competitive.

> With Solaris 10, the zones and the Dtrace functionality help to
> differentiate Solaris from AIX and Linux.

Note that AIX has an interesting trace facility that looks at first
glance to be better than anything Sun had before dtrace. It probably
isn't as good as dtrace though.

> Sure, AIX can have up to 8 or 16 virtual servers (with certain

On a POWER4? On a POWER5, you can have up to 10 virtual servers per CPU
although you probably wouldn't want to. Without a virtual I/O server
LPAR, you have to allocate 'storage controllers' to each LPAR to get
any disks ... probably giving you another limit on LPARs. I get the
impression that the virtual I/O server isn't used much ... certainly
there were a few 'issues' when I added a virtual disk to an AIX5.3 LPAR
last week.