[rescue] RFA: firewall

Phil Stracchino alaric at caerllewys.net
Mon Jan 10 15:47:26 CST 2005

On Thu, Jan 06, 2005 at 05:09:32PM -0600, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:
> I use OpenBSD.  If you're going to use OpenBSD, consider getting another
> fxp card for your third interface.  The OpenBSD driver for hme does not
> perform well under a load.  I can get -maybe- 15Mb/s on a 100Mb/s link
> (yes, my speed/duplex agree on both ends and my cable is good).  With an
> fxp in the same machine, I get about 80Mb/s.
>
> Obviously if you're using this for an uplink to a WAN that's slower than
> 10baseT, this is not a problem.

Yup, I've run into this problem myself trying to use a Classic as a
firewall.  I had an le and a hme in the box, and I was actually getting
three times as much throughput through the le as I was through the hme.

I was, however, planning on putting the hme on the WAN side, and if it
comes to that, I have several 3C905Cs I could drop in and not use the
hme at all.

--
  ========== Fight Back!  It may not be just YOUR life at risk. ==========
  alaric at caerllewys.net : phil-stracchino at earthlink.net : phil at novylen.net