[rescue] Seeking thinkpad 240C..

Mike Meredith mike at redhairy1.demon.co.uk
Wed Jan 5 12:52:57 CST 2005

On Wed, 5 Jan 2005 12:44:35 -0500, William Enestvedt wrote:
>    True: I bought a new Sun server (480R) and a new Sun RAID (3310),
>    and
> they didn't give -- or even offer -- the correct cables to connect
> them for out-of-band management or the initial configuation! The array
> has a 9-pin port and comes with an adapter for 15-pin ports, while the

The 3310 doesn't come with a 9-pin cable ? The 3510 does ... work
'donated' a spare for my kit bag as it's more convenient that an old 25
pin cable.

> Sun server only has an RJ-45 for its serial connections. (You need a

I guess they assume that everyone has a spare Cisco rollover cable :(

> serial conneciton to get the array's disks set up the very first time;
> after that; you can go over the hosts's SCSI conenction or an
> unsecured telnet session. *gulp*)

Work uses a private VLAN for those ... if someone breaks into it, we've
got bigger problems than just a sniffable disk array password (which you
don't use very often anyway).