[rescue] Solaris 10 puzzle

Phil Stracchino phil.stracchino at speakeasy.net
Mon Feb 21 17:29:36 CST 2005

Mike Parson wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 21, 2005 at 02:42:12PM -0800, Phil Stracchino wrote:
> <snip>
>
>>Nevertheless, SOMETHING on this system is repeatedly resetting the
>>system's hostname to '-s' at intervals of a few minutes, and I can't
>>figure out what it is.  I've even tried grepping the entire system for
>>stray 'uname -S' calls.  No joy.  I'm fresh out of ideas.
>

> Look for calls to `hostname -s` rather than uname.

Nope, couldn't find any calls to hostname anywhere.

> What's PS1 set to?

export PS1='\h:\u:\w:\# \$ '

I got a flurry of hostname resets a few seconds apart when I tried to
log in on the "Sun Java Desktop", which leads me to believe it's
something to do with that which is doing the nasty.  I suppose as a
workaround, I could rewrite the hostname script.

And what is it with this Sun Java Desktop, anyway???  Fer crissake, it
looks like Windows Fucking XP.  I almost wept.  The thought going
through my head right now is, "If Sun can't do any better than poor
imitations of Windows XP, Sun is doomed."

--
  Phil Stracchino
  phil.stracchino at speakeasy.net
  phil.stracchino at ceva-dsp.com