[rescue] Solaris 10 puzzle

Mike Parson mparson at bl.org
Mon Feb 21 17:14:57 CST 2005

On Mon, Feb 21, 2005 at 02:42:12PM -0800, Phil Stracchino wrote:
<snip>

> Nevertheless, SOMETHING on this system is repeatedly resetting the
> system's hostname to '-s' at intervals of a few minutes, and I can't
> figure out what it is.  I've even tried grepping the entire system for
> stray 'uname -S' calls.  No joy.  I'm fresh out of ideas.

Look for calls to `hostname -s` rather than uname.

What's PS1 set to?

I've seen people that want the hostname in their prompt put something
like `hostname -s` in PS1, but when the used sudo or su2, that suddenly
got run as root and changed the hostname to -s.

At least with bash, there's a built-in sequence for getting the hostname
in the prompt (\h), rather than running a command to stuff it in there,
prevents such mistakes.

--
Michael Parson
mparson at bl.org