[rescue] New to me IPX

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Thu Feb 17 10:37:56 CST 2005

On Wed, Feb 16, 2005 at 09:16:52PM -0500, Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. wrote:

> eek... a 15150N in a 411.... you sure that drive is running cool
> enough ????

I'm not sure exactly what is cool enough.

However, I've been getting away with it for a long time.

And it is in the 411 specifically to keep it from overheating the SS20.

I took car to position it so that wasn't sucking the exhaust of another
machine over the drive.

I wouldn't mind replacing it, but money is short, and I'm not sure what
constitutes a cool running drive.

BTW, so far I've never had a 15150N die.  I've have a cheetah and SS20
die (the cheetah being in the SS20, I didn't know that was a machine
that tended to have heat issues), but nothing else has died from heat
that I know of.

> Years ago I had a dozen + of that model drive in operation.  What
> I found out was if you keep them cool, they damn near run forever...
> but it wasn't easy keeping them cool !

So far I've found them to be the most reliable drive I've found.

I wish I could find a cooler 1" 9 gig disk that I would feel was as
reliable and readily available.

> Put quad HS125s in an SS20.  I don't run my SS20 because it runs
> hotter than I'd like... (and I don't currently need to run it).
> I hope to come up with a better cooling solution for it sometime
> (it needs more air).

I have a dual SM71 SS20 in storage because I don't want to risk over
heating it.  My plan is to eventually have a machine room with seperate
cooling system from the rest of the house, but that requires actually
having a house instead of a small one bedroom apartment.

--
Joshua D. Boyd
jdboyd at jdboyd.net
http://www.jdboyd.net/