[rescue] New to me IPX

Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. rescue at hawkmountain.net
Wed Feb 16 20:16:52 CST 2005

On Wed, 2005-02-16 at 10:21, Joshua Boyd wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 15, 2005 at 10:41:49PM -0500, Steve Sandau wrote:
> > >The IPX was my first Sun boxen. It holds a warm place in my soul.
> > >

> > I still use an IPX from Mike. It holds a warm place in my basement. ;-)
> >
> > As someone said here a while back: "That's why they call them Suns; they
> > warm your house!"
>
> Not as much as PCs or SGIs do though.
>
> The air coming out of my U30 is far cooler than the air out of the
> Octane or P2 machine.
>
> The SS20 is kinda warm though, and its 411 is downright hot (maybe
> because of the 15150N drive?).

eek... a 15150N in a 411.... you sure that drive is running cool
enough ????

Years ago I had a dozen + of that model drive in operation.  What
I found out was if you keep them cool, they damn near run forever...
but it wasn't easy keeping them cool !

Put quad HS125s in an SS20.  I don't run my SS20 because it runs
hotter than I'd like... (and I don't currently need to run it).
I hope to come up with a better cooling solution for it sometime
(it needs more air).

-- Curt