[rescue] FREE: 2x Bull-badged IBM RS/6000 7012-G series

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Thu Feb 3 03:03:31 CST 2005

On Wed, 2 Feb 2005, Charles Monett wrote:

> 7012/7013/7030 machines; didnt know that the G40/G640 was a different
> mainboard as well.

The G40 are so different that I have no idea why IBM gave them the same
machine type.  They have BUMP firmware, whereas the rest do not.  They
have service processors, which the rest do not.  They're multiprocessor,
which the rest are not.

Usually, you're right, parts within a machine type are more-or-less
interchangeable.  When I opened up the G40, I at first thought it was
misbadged because I'd never seen another 701[23] that looked like that
on the inside.

> If it isnt possible to put one of those in, what's the max the POWER2
> variants like the 39H can have if it can be upgraded at all (POWER2
> SuperChip)?

I really don't know.  I haven't used very many of the 7012 and 7013
families[0].

[0] Which are essentially the same, aside from their capacities.
--
Jonathan Patschke   )   "Let me hear you make decisions
Elgin, TX          (     without your television."