[rescue] e420r and solaris questions

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Sat Aug 20 23:33:37 CDT 2005

On Sat, Aug 20, 2005 at 09:33:38PM -0500, Dan Sikorski wrote:
> I just got an E420R from ebay (nice, quad 450mhz, 4GB of ram, 2x18.2GB
> disks for $699 with free shipping).  This is going to be my new co-lo'ed
> server, and i have a couple of questions.

Not bad!  sunhelp.org/ohno.mrbill.net is an identical machine.

> Is there a two post rackmount kit in existance?  The co-lo only has
> two-post racks, but the price for hosting is definately right. :)

Get a center-mount cantilevered shelf?

> Do i need to pay to legally use Solaris 10?  I know it's free for
> devloper use, and i thought that it is free for personal use, but i'm
> having a hard time figuring out if that is true based on the SLA on
> sun.com.  The machine is not for commercial use, i will be making no
> money with it, it will just be hosting personal websites and email for
> myself, some friends and a local LUG (i refuse to take money from the
> friends or LUG anyway).  Does anyone know if it's legal to download and
> use Solaris for those purposes?  I realize that in all likelyhood, even
> if it isn't legal, that nobody's going to break down my door and take me
> away in handcuffs, but I'd like to stay legal, or at the very least know
> that my use is illegal.

Should be fine.  I've never paid a yearly license fee for S7 through S9,
using them on ohno.

> The followup to that question is, if regular solaris isn't legal for my
> uses, does Open Solaris support zones like Solaris 10?

Yes it does.  You have to install S10, and then you install OpenSolaris
on top of it.  I wouldn't suggest OS though - you still end up with a kernel
compiled in DEBUG mode, and a 10-20% performance hit over a normal kernel.

Bill

--
bill bradford
houston, texas