[rescue] e420r and solaris questions

Dan Sikorski me at dansikorski.com
Sat Aug 20 21:33:38 CDT 2005

I just got an E420R from ebay (nice, quad 450mhz, 4GB of ram, 2x18.2GB
disks for $699 with free shipping).  This is going to be my new co-lo'ed
server, and i have a couple of questions.

Is there a two post rackmount kit in existance?  The co-lo only has
two-post racks, but the price for hosting is definately right. :)

Do i need to pay to legally use Solaris 10?  I know it's free for
devloper use, and i thought that it is free for personal use, but i'm
having a hard time figuring out if that is true based on the SLA on
sun.com.  The machine is not for commercial use, i will be making no
money with it, it will just be hosting personal websites and email for
myself, some friends and a local LUG (i refuse to take money from the
friends or LUG anyway).  Does anyone know if it's legal to download and
use Solaris for those purposes?  I realize that in all likelyhood, even
if it isn't legal, that nobody's going to break down my door and take me
away in handcuffs, but I'd like to stay legal, or at the very least know
that my use is illegal.

The followup to that question is, if regular solaris isn't legal for my
uses, does Open Solaris support zones like Solaris 10?

    -Dan Sikorski