[rescue] Re: pkgsrc

Devin L. Ganger devin at thecabal.org
Fri Apr 29 02:06:02 CDT 2005

on 4/28/2005 11:51 PM Michael-John Turner wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 28, 2005 at 09:16:20PM -0700, Devin L. Ganger wrote:

>>That works fine until the pkgsrc system decides that it wants to compile
>>its own versions of utilities you already installed, and those utilities
>>crash on compile. The lack of documentation on actually using pkgsrc is
>>truly stunning.

> pkgsrc is not perfect, but it's much preferable to rolling my own packages. I
> also like having one package system that can be used on multiple OSs
> (haven't yet tried it on IRIX tho').

It's only useful until I have to take steps to neutralize it.

> What kind of documentation do you find lacking? The NetBSD tech-pkg@ list
> as well as http://www.pkgsrc.org are pretty useful.

For all the garden-level tasks you might run into, yes. For things like
"skip this dependency and use the system version of Perl 5.8 which is in
/foo", no.

--
Devin L. Ganger <devin at thecabal.org>
"Aikido is based around the central precept of letting an attack take