[rescue] The best 'rescue' workstation

Andrew Weiss ajwdsp at cloud9.net
Mon Apr 25 13:06:40 CDT 2005

Quoting Phil Stracchino <phil.stracchino at speakeasy.net>:

> Oh.  Bleh ...  I musta been thinking of one of the other 800-series.
> 860 maybe?  870?  My experience of the thermal-wax printers, based on
> Phaser 340, is that they're capable of sucking a donkey through a
> .040-guage needle.

Don't base your experience on the 340... they suck.

The 850 is a great printer.  They're very easy to fix.  I have complete
service manuals and Xerox training for the 840/850/860/8200.  If you
can get an 860 or 8200, they're even better because they waste less ink
to clean the head (i.e. every time they are turned on -- truly a printer
meant to be left on 24/7 -- but they don't waste all that much energy...
at least the new ones... the 8400 is beautiful)

They're also very fast and the printouts are wondrous.

Andrew