[rescue] The best 'rescue' workstation

Aaron Finley aaronfinley at gmail.com
Sun Apr 24 23:30:41 CDT 2005

>What are you talking about?  My iMac G5 17" (1.8Ghz, 1G RAM) is one of
>the nicest machines I've ever used.  If it's a system with only the
>factory 256M of RAM, that's the reason it's slow - 512M seems to be the
>"sweet spot" for OS X.

Sorry, Bill, you're absolutely correct. It's my roommates machine, and
it is a complete and utter dog. I am using it right now and its a
frustrating experience. He got it new this christmas, and I did not
even think that a brand new G5 would come with 256 MB, but you are
right, that's what it has. Just checked. I think I will just buy him
the upgrade to 512 MB, and see what I think then. That being said,
every lab on this campus is stocked with IMAC G4s, and they are with
1GB of RAM and dog slow also, but they are probably poorly configured
as they are lab machines.

As a sidenote, it is a pity -- the astrology department (PSU) is
trashing all their SGI Octanes, fully configured MXEs, for Dell Linux
machines, but they will not give them to students because of
university policy.

Anyone have any experience with the responsiveness of an HP J6000/6700
? I'm eyeing one of those as my next machine, as I've never used
HP-UX.

-- Aaron