[rescue] The best 'rescue' workstation

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Sun Apr 24 21:13:30 CDT 2005

On Sun, 24 Apr 2005, Charles Monett wrote:

> That's odd - since I'm able to do memory board swaps with the
> 7012/7013. If they are indeed different boards, then I must mean
> they're compatible since they arent different enough for any of the
> hardware or software to care.

There are quite a few different boards, and they all have the same form
factor, but they're not all compatible.  There are different tiers or
generations of compatibility, and generally a board will work in the
previous, current, or next tier.  I found a page on that a long time ago
by googling on a pair of FRUs to see if the two boards were
interchangeable.

The board in the quad-PPC box is, IIRC, a completely different beast,
but I don't want to unearth it to check, as there's about 500# of DEC
kit between it and me.

> The system's ran fine without a single 888 for the year or more that
> I've run it that way.

Presumably, they're compatible.  I'd suspect the system wouldn't even
pass BIST if they weren't.

--
Jonathan Patschke  ) "It's alright for someone to sleep past noon every
Elgin, TX         (   once in a while.  That's what it means to be a