[rescue] The best 'rescue' workstation

Jochen Kunz jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de
Sat Apr 23 14:44:23 CDT 2005

On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 11:08:26 -0400 (EDT)
adh at an.bradford.ma.us (Sandwich Maker) wrote:

> the sparc risc cpu architecture - and likewise sgi's mips, dec's
> alpha, hp's parisc, and ibm and apple's power - is much more efficient
> than intel's x86, so they get a lot more done clock-for-clock.
Depends. To my experience / knowledge the folowing CPUs have about the
same INT compute performance (~ 15 SPECint95):
DEC Alpha EV56 500 MHz
InHell Pentium II 400 MHz
PPC 604e 375 MHz
UltraSPARC II 360 MHz
MIPS R12k 300 MHz
HP PA8200 240 MHz

As you can see an EV56 needs twice the MHz to equal a PA8200. Things
are better with EV6. EV6 can get much more MIPS / MHz then EV56 but I
have no exact numbers.

P II, PPC 604e (AFAIK G3 too) and US II are apout the same MIPS / MHz.
Only MIPS and especially PA-RISC have significant more MIPS / MHz.

As usual: Remember that the environment of the CPU adds a lot to this.
i.e. cache size, latency, memory and IO bandwith, ... depending on the
type of work load.

And the fastest CPU doesn't help in a desktop workstation if the
graphics is slow. => bottle neck.
--

tsch|_,
       Jochen