[rescue] Sun's new policy sucks...

Mike Meredith mike at redhairy1.demon.co.uk
Fri Apr 8 09:46:32 CDT 2005

On Fri, 8 Apr 2005 11:26:36 +0000 (UTC), Peter Corlett wrote:
> What is the difference between Solaris zones, and Linux's vserver or
> FreeBSD's jails? I'm buggered if I can see any once the marketing puff
> is stripped off.

Probably not a huge difference ... possibly zone's are a little easier
to use than jails (I hate spelling it that way). I dare say there are
minor differences between them (although I could be missing something),
but the biggest difference is "Solaris".

My boss would have a fit if I installed Linux or BSD on our 6900's (hmm
... that sounds like fun), so I'm kind of stuck with Solaris there. And
Vendor O would fall about laughing at the idea of supporting their
products in an BSD jail (or a Linux vserver on a 6900), but will soon
enough (some parts already are) support stuff in a zone.