[rescue] Sun's new policy sucks...

Patrick Finnegan pat at computer-refuge.org
Thu Apr 7 15:41:56 CDT 2005

On Thursday 07 April 2005 14:12, Rox wrote:
> On 7 Apr 2005 at 13:38, Patrick Finnegan wrote:
> > Debian (Sarge) runs beautifully on my E3000...
>
> Does it support smp and hot-swapping of system boards? I'm happy with
> OpenBSD on single processor Sun systems, but a viable alternative to
> Solaris for the smp boxen would be interesting.

Umm, doubtful.  It's something I've never needed to do either...

It's not so much as it's completely impossible (software wise), it just
hasn't been implented to my knowledge for Sun hardware.  Hot plug of
memory and CPUs support was added in 2.5 or 2.6 (IIRC, by IBM folks).

On the other hand, when I looked into hot-swapping of boards on an
E3000, you could remove the board, and shove a new one it, but couldn't
use it until you rebooted the machine, under Solaris.  It's possible
that that has changed, but I think it was more of a hardware/firmware
limitation with gigaplane type machines than a software one.

Pat