[rescue] Rescue my garage!!

Patrick Finnegan pat at computer-refuge.org
Tue Sep 28 16:49:51 CDT 2004

On Tuesday 28 September 2004 16:28, Carl R. Friend wrote:
>     On Tue, 28 Sep 2004, Patrick Finnegan wrote:
> > And if you want larger, I've got a few 19" wide rackmount about 4U
> > tall SCSI drives... not SCSI enclosures, the HDA + controller
> > boards is that big. :)
>
>    "Small Computer Systems Interface" my backside.
>
> > Well, I'm not 100% sure they're SCSI, but I think so (they're in my
> > DG Eclipse).
>
>    Take a closer look; they might be SMD drives.  At least a few
> companies produced SMD controllers that emulated the DG drives using

Definately not SMD... doesn't have the proper connectors (or even enough
pins!).  The disk connects directly to the Eclipse's CPU box, there's
no intermediate controller.  They may be SMD drives with built in (or
bolt-on-the-back) SCSI controllers/converters, but even if it's that
I'd still call it SCSI... Eg. I'd say that my RM03's are definately
MASSBUS not SMD drive although the drive itself is (almost) a CDC SMD
disk.

> common SMD disks.  I've got one here that should attach to my S/140
> and is a CDC drive with DG badging.  My S/130 has a Spectracom
> (I think) controller that does SMD as well.  (Come to think of it,
> my S/230 may have one as well.  I need to go digging in my Copious
> Free Time....)

SCSI was my guess, as it has a "early Sun SCSI" style connector (DD50),
and with two connectors on the drive, one has a "terminator" looking
device attached.  As I said, I'm not 100% sure, but it was made in 1987
or thereabouts, so it's quite possibly SCSI or SASI.  I'll take a
closer look at it tonight when I get a chance.

Pat
--
Purdue University ITAP/RCS        ---  http://www.itap.purdue.edu/rcs/
The Computer Refuge               ---  http://computer-refuge.org