[rescue] DC Voltage distro (Was:SGI Challenge L... )

Sandwich Maker adh at an.bradford.ma.us
Wed Sep 22 19:02:18 CDT 2004

" From: james <james at jdfogg.com>
"
" On Wed, 2004-09-22 at 12:42, Sandwich Maker wrote:
" > " From: james <james at jdfogg.com>
" > "
" > " > Renewable sources, biodiesel and nuclear are probably the solution.
" > " > Hydrogen's a non-starter due to it being unsafe, hard to store, and
" > " > hard to use, never mind it being a net energy loss again.
" > "
" > " I don't think hydrogen is out yet.
" > " http://www.unitednuclear.com/h2.htm
" > "
" > " []
" >
" > nearly every car today - certainly imports - have diesel versions.
" > i'd rather dieselize and run biodiesel.
"
" Well we had spoken about the factoid of a single biofield 500 miles on
" each side would provide for the US fuel needs, but diesels have a
" particulate problem whereas hydrogen is super-clean burning.

yes, h2 -is- super-clean burning, but the particulate problem with
diesels is much overblown.  they all have electronic controls these
days.  european diesels have cat converters, and when we get
low-sulfur diesel in '06 we can have them too.  and biodiesel burns
cleaner than petrodiesel to start with.

" In any oil replacement strategey I think we will have to see a diversity
" of solutions to provide sufficient capacity. I don't think one solution
" will meet the needs.

sounds reasonable.  oil wasn't a single solution either.

" If you read the details of the United Nuclear website it appears that he
" has a good workable solution. And onboard hydride fuel is safer than
" gasoline storage.
"
" As for national infrastructure, the UN website mentions having a hydride
" generator in your garage. No infrastructure needed.

somehow i don't think this will catch on with joe average.  could have
a real future with fleets though, esp urban fleets where emissions of
any kind are more of an issue.