[rescue] Sol9 on old x86

Joshua Boyd jdboyd at jdboyd.net
Wed Sep 22 16:45:57 CDT 2004

On Wed, Sep 22, 2004 at 07:01:57PM +0200, Jochen Kunz wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 12:08:27 -0400
> Joshua Boyd <jdboyd at jdboyd.net> wrote:
>
> >  I have one SS20 (dual SM61s) running NetBSD 1.6.2[0].
> [...]
> > [0] I haven't built a SMP kernel for it yet.  Building NetBSD on my
> >     Ultra5 takes approximately 24 hours, and I still having some minor
> >     problems with the process.  I wan't to get that worked out before
> >     tampering with the SS20 that I actually use for real work.
> 1.6.x can't do SMP on SPARC anyway. Try a 2.0 binary snapshot from
> ftp://releng.netbsd.org/ It should contain a GENERIC.MP kernel... I am
> running a nearly one year old NetBSD-current 1.6U or the like on a dual
> SM61 SS20 and it works without any hickups.

I know that 1.6.2 can't do it.  That makes compiling the kernel take all
the longer because it needs a userland to go with it.

BTW, I am trying to test the patch you sent me for the U5.  The first
try chugged for a day then in the middle of the job the machine froze
(perhaps the sleep problem, but I don't know how to diagnose it).  The
second try took another day, then when it was done, I realized I'd made
a mistake while trying to work from memory.

So then I followed my notes, and after it chugged for another day, it
stopped on the patched file.  I didn't have the energy to try and put
together any sort of diagnosis last night.  I'm hoping to get through
that tonight.

--
Joshua D. Boyd
jdboyd at jdboyd.net