[rescue] Sol9 on old x86

Lionel Peterson lionel4287 at verizon.net
Wed Sep 22 13:03:25 CDT 2004

> From: abuse at cabal.org.uk (Peter Corlett)
> Date: 2004/09/22 Wed PM 04:05:07 GMT
> To: rescue at sunhelp.org
> Subject: Re: [rescue] Sol9 on old x86
>
>Lionel Peterson <lionel4287 at verizon.net> wrote:
>[...]
>> I suspect that DaveM would agree, for a sufficently "trim" install
>> of Solaris 9, and that the machine is run as a server/headless and
>> has ample RAM for the required task...

>Allow me to share with you one of the entries from my fortune file:

>%
>I remember the first time that I saw Solaris x86 running. I asked why the
>drive light was on solid. The person running the system shrugged and said he
>had no idea, since no one was logged on and the system wasn't doing anything
>at all. - Russ Allbery in The Other Place
>%

Well, Joshua & i were discussing Solaris 9 on an SS/10 or SS/20 (I don't recall right now) with dual SM71 CPUs, not Solaris x86.

Solaris on x86 has been reasonable everytime I've dinked with it (casual interaction since Solaris 2.5.1) - the constant activity could be explained by a system with inadequate RAM, for example...

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment with a content-type header it could not parse.]