[rescue] DC Voltage distro (Was:SGI Challenge L... )

Brian Dunbar brian.dunbar at plexus.com
Tue Sep 21 13:16:29 CDT 2004

On Sep 21, 2004, at 12:36 PM, Phil Stracchino wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 21, 2004 at 11:13:53AM -0400, Ethan O'Toole wrote:
>>> Just for grins, look up thermal depolymerization.  The company
>>> behind it
>>> has a pilot plant in Philadelphia that processes seven tons a day of
>>> garbage into oil and pure metals, and a plant in Carthage Missouri
>>> that's scheduled to turn 200 tons a day of turkey guts into oil.
>>> (However, they're currently sueing the contractor who did all the
>>> welding on the plant; fully 70% of the welds were bad.) If you do the
>>> math, it turns out thermal depolymerization plants could turn
>>> America's
>>> yearly output of trash into enough oil to make the US independent of
>>> foreign oil, and IIRC the guy behind the company is confident he can
>>> get
>>> the cost down below $10 a barrel.
>>
>> WOW! Old oil will off him.
>
> Yeah, I understand there's already been veiled accusations that the bad
> welding at Carthage was deliberate sabotage.

Dunno - I'd  blame incompetence - but I don't know the details.

Did walk onto a job site once - employer had just moved their Sales
staff into a newly rented building the staff was arriving for work as
we uncrated their PCs and set them up.  Something like 98% of the
network jacks didn't work - firm doing the wiring hired Bozo the Clown
to to the wiring.  I understand the employer had gotten a really good
deal ...

~brian