[rescue] SGI Challenge L systems available in Denver

velociraptor velociraptor at gmail.com
Mon Sep 20 12:07:02 CDT 2004

On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 12:19:00 -0400, Charles Shannon Hendrix
<shannon at widomaker.com> wrote:
> Fri, 17 Sep 2004 @ 10:39 -0400, velociraptor said:
>
> > There getting quite popular on motorcycles which generally
> > have issues with their electrical systems and the load placed
> > upon them.  Having white LED "headlight" arrays for a
> > reasonable cost would be very helpful.
>
> LED lights don't have enough penetration to be used as headlines.
>
> Even with focusing lenses, they still don't really do the job that an
> incandescent does.
>
> Of course, LEDs are improving continuously.

I would disagree--you could build excellent LED headlights which would
produce much better, whiter light than incandescent headlights, but it
would require coughing up high dollars to get them.

Here is a link to an article on a "matched" LED array headlamp that
began production in 1999 (they are now on their third generation).
The photos of LED output vs. halogen light output are pretty telling.

<http://www.hdssystems.com/Obsolete/XActionLightTechnology.html>

Also, from what I have read, the eyes respond to brightness along a
logarithmic scale.  So, at a certain point, increasing *perceived*
brightness takes so much power and/or LEDs to increase the eyes
perception that it becomes economically unfeasible given present LED
technology (but it's certainly a moving target given rapid LED
advances).

=Nadine=