[rescue] Starting Postfix (was: Building Sendmail 8.13.1)Z

Sheldon T. Hall shel at cmhcsys.com
Sun Sep 19 11:39:16 CDT 2004

 Jonathan C. Patschke says ...

> Really.  That's odd.  Do you have NIS anywhere in your nsswitch.conf?
> The default on IRIX is to check NIS if the files are unusable.

Well, sorta:

#
#automount(dynamic):	# nis(nis_enumerate_key)
#bootparams:		files # nis
capability:		files # nis
clearance:		files # nis
ethers:			files # nis
group:			files # nis
hosts:			files dns # nis
ipnodes:		files dns # nis
mac:			files # nis
mail(null_extend_key): ndbm(file=/etc/aliases) # nis
#netgroup:		# nis
#netid.byname:		# nis
networks:		files # nis
passwd:			files(compat) [notfound=return] # nis
protocols:		files # nis [success=return]
rpc:			files # nis
services:		files # nis
shadow(mode=0700):	files
#ypservers:		# nis
jlimits:		mdbm # nis

So, "nis" is there, but it's commented out.

I assume the actual problem is the line

	mail(null_extend_key): ndbm(file=/etc/aliases) # nis

but I have no idea what to do about it.  I haven't changed /etc/aliases (if
that's what postfix even wants), although I regenerated the .dir and .pag
file with the "old" sendmail newaliases command.

-Shel